Monday, April 1, 2013

First pants, now this ... hot topic Monday ... brace yourself!

Oh hey bloggers! I hope you all are having a fabulous night ... I know I am!!

So ... I know that I have once again I have dropped off the face of the planet ... but I know that you will understand .... I get to spend such little time with my parents that I like to spend ever waking moment with them when I am in Texas ... yes ... I am a moma and daddy girl!

I know that I probably should start with a summary of E and I's trip ... but while I was gone R sent me this picture and I just had to respond:


Ok ladies ... Holy cow ... You have got to be kidding me.

For those of you who aren't a member of my faith let me explain a couple of things for you ... That way you won't be confused as you read this post. First I should explain what the priesthood is ... It is the power to act in Gods name ... We believe that it was given to Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery through the laying on of hands from previous prophets Peter, James, and John. It is a special privilege given to the men in our church ... For many reasons women are not given the priesthood ... and I don't have a problem with that.

Recently there has been this group of women who have been in an uproar over not receiving the priesthood ... as shown by this article. This same group of women created a petition to have a woman say the opening prayer in our general conference (a twice a year shindig where we literally get to learn at the feet of a modern day prophet ... tune in next week!) ... oh ... and they decided that a great form of protest is to wear pants to church ... Here is my question ... why?

Now ... It is not like I am anti "equality" (there is a reason I put that in quotations ... I will explain later) ... I am very grateful for the feminists who have passed through this life before I ... I really like the ability to vote (ok ... so I know that that statement may seem ignorance ... its just the biggest example ... and you know me ... go big or go home) ... I know that they have paved the way for me to be able to accomplish what I have accomplished in my life ... I bet you that I wouldn't have been able to initiate divorce if it weren't for feminists ... I respect women who work outside of the home ... which is something I would love to do ... that probably wouldn't have been likely a century ago ...  but ... and there is a but ... my problem is simple ... why ... if you truly believe in our religion would you (a woman) want the priesthood?

Here is what I understand about my religion ... and the reason why I put equality in quotations ... men and women are equal in our religion ... duh ... have you heard of the phrase separate but equal? because that is how our religion sees things ... in "The Family: A Proclamation to the World" (found here) it says this:

All human beings—male and female—are created in the image of God. Each is a beloved spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents, and, as such, each has a divine nature and destiny. Gender is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose.

[...]

By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families. Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children. In these sacred responsibilities, fathers and mothers are obligated to help one another as equal partners.

See ... equal ... first: we are all created in the image of God ... not just men ... we all are. Second: we are all beloved ... all of us. Third: we are to live our lives and raise our families as equal partners. This does not say that men are cooler and can progress further on this earth because they have the priesthood.

What is really funny is that there are men who believe the exact opposite of these woman ... apparently some men feel as if they are told that they have the priesthood because they need it to help them stay on the straight and narrow ... that women don't need it because they are closer to God ... but without it and the responsibility it creates men would dwindle in unbelief.

Yanno what is just crazy to me ... if people would just read this simple one page document things would all be cleared up ... we are equal ... separate ... but equal. It is not only in the proclamation but it has been talked about but it is in scripture and has been talked about in talks up and down. Go to lds.org and search equality ... you will find a plethora of reading material explaining where our church stands on the subject.

I want to end this with my testimony ... with what I believe about this subject ... I believe that my church knows that men and woman are equal. I know that even though I don't have the priesthood myself I still am able to be blessed by it's power ... by marrying a priesthood holder my life is blessed everyday ... together we build each other up and hold each other accountable for our actions ... we work together and through that togetherness both of our lives can be blessed by the power of the priesthood. I wear a skirt to church because I believe in showing respect to my Heavenly Father ... I believe he deserves the best of me ... just because the best of my outfits just happen to be skirts doesn't make me less of a person. Heavenly Father does not care at all what you wear to church ... just that you go ... you should make an effort to give him your best. I may be seen as slightly old fashioned but I do like having the ability to stay home and rear the children ... maybe it is the perfectionist in me ... but I think that I am the best at raising my E ... I don't want to ship her off to some day care all day. There is nothing wrong with me thinking that the place for a mother is with her kids .... it is a fact that women are more nurturing. I know that everyone in the entire world has their own divine qualities ... we each have something to accomplish on this earth ... it will be different ... we are all different.

All I ask is if you have a question or have something that you are struggling with as far as the church is involved study it out ... I believe that you will find your answer ... I mean ... this church's basis is love ... whether you believe that or not ... it is true ... it may not always feels like it happens ... but it is our foundation.

No comments :

Post a Comment