Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Cheesy Chicken and Rice Skillet

Hey friends!

So this little ditty was something that I found here at the picky palate website. Lets be honest here ... I have been a picky eater my entire life ... even to this day I only eat three forms of meat consistently; Chicken, cow, and occasionally turkey (which has become a lot more often as R and I try to eat healthier) ... the only kind of pork I like is bacon and a ham sandwich every now and again. Basically what I am saying here is that this website has become one of my favorites ... what can I say ... she caters to the picky in me.

I stumbled across this recipe over the summer and have made it a couple of times ... our family loves it! It may not be the healthiest ... picky palate isn't known for it's healthy recipes ... at least ... not to me ... she has some amazing sweet recipes ... like ... to die for. Anyway, I have been meaning to post it ... but I always get too wrapped up in the prep and the eating of this to get a picture! I recently ... last week ... made this for my in-laws so that I could compensate for me being over there all day to make decorations for Es impending birthday ... thank goodness for creative mother in laws who allow me to use their resources ... that's all I have to say. Thank goodness I finally got a picture ... even if it is a terrible picture (and by terrible I mean completely awful ... deal) ... I mean ... this recipe should be shared with the world ... who cares what the picture looks like ... if you want to see pretty pictures go to the picky palate website ... amazing pictures!

The recipe makes a lot ... that is why I chose to make it for the in laws ... There is a lot of prep work. This may be an easier thing to make, but it will take you a while if you do all the prep work at once. It is completely worth it though ... it is cheesy and creamy ... with bacon ... who the heck can resist bacon these days? That's what I thought! So,without any further ado ... here it is:

Cheesy Chicken and Rice Skillet:


1 pkg. turkey bacon
4 tbsp. butter
1/4 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 c. chicken broth
1 1/2 c. cheddar cheese
1-2 tbsp. hot sauce
2 c. shredded chicken
4 c. cooked white rice
1 c. cheddar cheese

Cook bacon. Leave all excess fat in pan and set aside. In medium sauce pan melt butter on medium heat. Once butter is melted whisk flour and pepper into it until smooth and bubbly. Slowly whisk in chicken broth. Increase heat whisking continuously until sauce has thickened. Reduce heat to low and stir in 1 and 1/2 c. cheddar cheese. Stir in hot sauce. Simmer then set aside. Rip bacon into bits. In pan where you cooked your bacon combine rice, chicken, bacon bits (about 3/4 of the bacon), and sauce. Top mixture with the cup of cheese and the rest of the bacon bits. Broil for around five minutes.

I hope you enjoy this dish as much as my family does!!

have a great night!

No comments :

Post a Comment